A Thousand Faces
The Quarterly Journal of Superhuman Fiction

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Truth, Justice, The American Way, and BPO, by Saurav Moha...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    A Thousand Faces Forum Index -> A Thousand Faces #1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankbyrns
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Truth, Justice, The American Way, and BPO, by Saurav Moha... Reply with quote

And you think you've got a problem with global outsourcing.
RaZrEsHaT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was an interesting story and competently written, but the obvious link to a major comic company was bit distracting for me.

"My stories run up and bite me in the leg— I respond by writing down everything that goes on during the bite. When I finish, the idea lets go and runs off."
- Ray Bradbury
PaulMc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was interesting and well written but I'm not too sure I get the point. Is it that America is no longer a dominant power and so other nations get to express themselves more? Does it question our perceptions of the world and our icons? If that's the point then I do get it and it's very clever. Let me know if I'm on the right lines Saurav. Glad to have you here to widen my horizons!

PaulMc
Hydrargentium

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I see it as an allegory to the whole outsourcing dilemma that's gripping the American consciousness (and wallet). It's interesting, but I suspect that non-Americans (i.e. Canucks like me and Brits like Paul) might not feel it from the inside.

Incidentally, I was just thinking about other ways to distinguish Paul and I from the American crowd. In the U.S., football has four downs; in Canada, it has three downs; and in the U.K., they actually use their feet on the ball, and tend to be more excited by the play than the half-time show. Wink

Hg

Have you read my blog? Updates sometimes.

What the *&^% is a Hydrargentium anyway?
Look it up, silly.
frankbyrns
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydrargentium wrote:
Now, I see it as an allegory to the whole outsourcing dilemma that's gripping the American consciousness (and wallet). It's interesting, but I suspect that non-Americans (i.e. Canucks like me and Brits like Paul) might not feel it from the inside.

Incidentally, I was just thinking about other ways to distinguish Paul and I from the American crowd. In the U.S., football has four downs; in Canada, it has three downs; and in the U.K., they actually use their feet on the ball, and tend to be more excited by the play than the half-time show. Wink

Hg

A clue!! The first hint as to Hydrargentium's TRUE identity. All of you that had other countries in the pool please scratch them off your bingo cards.

And, Hg, that's how I read the story, as well. We've outsourced everything else, or so everyone thinks, why not superhero work, as well?
mohaps

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well,

first of all this was the result of a after four beers "what if" kind of storyline... i just tried to apply Lou Dobb's rants to superheroes and see where i could take it.

In part it was also my way of pointing out the shift from silver age to the more manga dominated market.

all in all it was a fun story to write... Very Happy

regards
Saurav

oh btw I am indian (as in from India) living in the US so I just thought I'd just "walk a mile in the other guy's shoes / capes" Smile

RaZrEsHaT

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, glad you replied here Mohaps. It really cool that we have an international pool of writers here.

"My stories run up and bite me in the leg— I respond by writing down everything that goes on during the bite. When I finish, the idea lets go and runs off."
- Ray Bradbury
frankbyrns
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an article HERE about Virgin Comics that is somewhat relevant to this story, which is even more resonant given that Saurav has done some work for them.
mohaps

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i knew that was going to pop up sooner or later.. Very Happy thanks for the link frank..

yeah, i wrote this story initially when i took the virgin comics assignments... we were discussing ( a group of friends who are in that rare demographic of being indian as well as comic book readers) where we can take the characters and someone said we should take these very eastern themes and "unleash" them on the western world...

that comment and a friday night session at a bar kind of were the genesis of this tale.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    A Thousand Faces Forum Index -> A Thousand Faces #1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: