A Thousand Faces
The Quarterly Journal of Superhuman Fiction

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Lemonade, by Hydrargentium

Post new topic   Reply to topic    A Thousand Faces Forum Index -> A Thousand Faces #0
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankbyrns
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Lemonade, by Hydrargentium Reply with quote

It’s like Aunt Jane always said: when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. But when life dealt him a botched-up bank job, could he follow her advice?
PaulMc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

****CONTAINS SPOILERS******

THIS IS A SECTION FROM MY MAIN REVIEW ON THE ISSUE#0 THREAD.

Lemonade

This was a full colour crime caper from the outset and I was immediately dragged in—bright colours were a very strong feature to this story as I imagine they were intended to be? Halcyon was a great touch both in his description and powers...nice name too. I like to see what's happening in a story before things get too busy so Kingfisher's cutting into the vault and the narrator's description of his own powers set the scene nicely. I really do enjoy just reading about super powered types doing super stuff, just like I enjoyed looking at the pictures in comics when I was a kid, not that I still don't.

Anyway, back to the story. It was clear from the start that things weren't going to go well for the fairly likeable criminals:

"This isn't how I wanted it to end. It wasn't supposed to be like this."

But of course, the big question was: what was going to go wrong? When the yellow hero appeared I imagined he would be the cause of all of the problems. In reality, surely that would be the big fear of any superhero or supervillain: what can this new guy do? Will he rip my head off? Can I hit him without killing him? Once, again, that's an issue rarely touched upon in the comics and you have to wonder how a guy like Cyclops can fight alongside Colossus or Wolverine without getting his face ripped off. Sorry, I digress but these issues need addressing! Thank you superhero fiction writers!

Oh, before I forget:

"His eyes, though, got really weird. The lids were closed, but the purple-white glow from his eye beams was showing through. It quickly intensified, leaking out through the edges, and then making the whole area around his eyes glow. A moment later, his whole face was glowing, then his whole head. Then his head exploded."

Wonderful!

The narrator's worry after the breaking sound was funny in a sick way but funny all the same. It was a bit of a Frasier moment; fans will know what I mean.

The whole lemons from lemonade was worked in beautifully and almost made me forget about that poor dead hero. It also brought another important issue to the fore: is who you think wearing the mask actually wearing the mask? And if you don't know who's wearing the mask in the first place how do you know if it's really...

Thanks Hg, great work!

PaulMc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    A Thousand Faces Forum Index -> A Thousand Faces #0 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: